I love the fall! Excited for leaves and weather and all those good things. St. John’s has started, with my math and natural science tutorial: On the Nature of Things is tough but good, and Euclid’s Elements is excellent. I was, if I may say so, entirely correct that studying Euclid in a group, in front of a blackboard, is the correct and potentially only way to study Euclid.
- This blog isn’t a Mary Beard fan account, but it’s not… not a Mary Beard fan account, y’know? “Carpentry is as important as the classics” might be the closest thing to a manifesto or guiding principle that this blog has.
- Ross Douthat on Stephen King, summer, and the great state of Maine.
- “What’s the matter with book reviews?”
- Tangential to this blog’s focus, but I enjoyed this interview with Andrew Sullivan on his early influences, parts one and two.
- Life advice from Edgar Allen Poe.